For the second straight season, Rocky Mount Post 58 is the Area I East baseball champion.
It earned the title after a 9-5 win over Kinston Post 43 Friday at Gryphon Stadium that earned it a 3-0 sweep in a best-of-five series over the team from Lenoir County.
Post 58 will now host Cary Post 67 Monday in Game 1 of the Area I championship series (best of three). Due to a conflict for the use of Cary High's baseball field with the school's Summer League team, the series will begin at Gryphon Stadium Monday at 7 p.m.
Game 2, and if necessary, Game 3 will be played at Cary High Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.
Cary comes into the series at 18-5, while Post 58 sports a 22-5 record.
Hobbs Johnson moved to 3-0 on the season in recording the win. He logged five innings on the mound. He gave up three runs on six hits, walked three and struck out six.
- Two Kinston Post 43 errors in the first two innings opened the door for five Post 58 runs with starter Scottie Ginn on the mound .
- Post 58's Matthew Berry stole home in the third on Post 43 reliever Landon DeBruhl to put it up 6-0
- Post 43 got on the board in the fifth with three runs - biggest hit was Tyler Potter's triple.
- Ty Eason hit a solo home run to left center in the eighth off Post 58 reliever Trellis Ashley.
- Kinston hit into three double plays to end several big inning possibilities for Post 43.
- Post 58 has gone 7-0 in the postseason.
Rocky Mount Post 58 9
Kinston Post 43 5
Post 43 000 120 002 — 5 12 3
Post 58 321 001 02x — 9 14 1
WP- Hobbs Johnson (3-0, 5IP, 3R, 3ER, 6H, 3BB, 6K)
LP - Scottie Ginn (2IP, 6R, 2ER, 4H, 1BB, 0K)
Top hitters -
Post 43 - Tyler Potter 3-4, 2B, 3B, R; Ty Eason 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, R; Everett Charlton 2-4, R; Brad Hunter 1-4.
Post 58 - Thomas Berry 3-4, 4 RBI; T.J. Taylor 2-4, 2 RBI; Kyle Norville 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI
Records: Post 43 14-9. Post 58 22-5