The selections were wide and varied - from a concert with the Beach Boys to the flood waters of Hurricane Floyd.
To those of you who submitted to my Facebook page your top three memories from the last 24 years at the Rocky Mount Athletic Complex, I deeply thank you.
It was a tight race, but alas, a positive Gryphon memory ended up winning out.
The day was Monday, Oct. 8, 2007 and SouthWest Edgecombe's football team came calling. Both Rocky Mount and SWE were undefeated and the RMAC was packed.
That most unforgettable moment took place with about four minutes left in the game. With SWE trailing 15-12, its QB completed a pass around mid-field to Demetrius Randolph across the middle and he headed down the field past the RM bench toward the north end zone.
Out of nowhere came defensive back Brian Goodwin who got behind Randolph, then with an upward motion, knocked the ball out from Randolph's left arm and fellow DB Jacobi Jenkins was "Johnny on the spot" to recover the ball just before it went out of bounds at the RM 7.
An unbelievable and timely defensive play for the Gryphons. RM ran out the clock and preserved the win and its winning streak. Whew!!!
Later this weekend, I will post every memory nominated. But for now, here are the Top 10!
TOP 10 MEMORIES FROM THE ROCKY MOUNT ATHLETIC COMPLEX (1988-2011)
1. 2007 - RM's Goodwin and Jenkins run down a SouthWest Edgecombe receiver to force a turnover and preserve a 15-12 victory
2. 2009 - RM's 22-19 loss to West Craven in the NCHSAA 3-A East finals
3. 2004 - RM's 15-13 loss to Greenville Rose in the NCHAA 4-A East semifinals
4. 1999 - Having three games cancelled due to the flood waters caused by Hurricane Floyd, including a much anticipated home endowment contest with powerhouse Richmond County
5. 2003 - A Superman-like effort by Greenville Rose's Andre Brown (ran for 300 yds. on 15 carries, scored five TDs on runs of 55, 15, 25, 66, 46 yds.) His performance included a Houdini-like 66 yd. KO return for another TD. He played only three quarters as Rose won 49-28
6. 2005 - A 21-20 win over Wilson Beddingfield in the third round of the NCHSAA 3-A playoffs
7. 2007 - Stopping Greenville Rose's 39-game winning streak with a 17-7 Gryphon triumph
8. 2001 - The longest game ever played by Rocky Mount - a four-overtime loss to Wilson Beddingfield, 46-40
9. 2002 - The RMAC's field was condemned due to its hazardous condition. The Gryphons were forced to play their remaining home games at Nash Central
10. 1988 - Winning RM's first ever game at the RMAC - a 28-0 defeat of SW Edgecombe