Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Gainey to coach in the Carolinas Basketball Classic

RMHS boys basketball coach Mike Gainey (Photo/David Hahula)
Rocky Mount athletic director and head boys basketball coach Mike Gainey has been selected to be an assistant for the N.C. boys squad at the 2012 NC/SC Carolinas Basketball Classic game in Myrtle Beach, S.C. in March.

Gainey, whose Gryphons won the 2010 NCHSAA 3-A state championship, was the head coach for the victorious East boys squad (99-98) at the 2010 NCCA East-West All-Star Basketball Game.

"I am blessed and honored to be selected to coach again in an All-Star game," Gainey said Monday. "This year, I am serving as an assistant and I look forward to the challenge. I am also blessed to have a wife and two children who continue to give me the strength, love and support throughout my career.

"I would like to thank my staff and players (former and present) for their hard work and dedication to the Gryphon program.

He has a career record of 253-114 in 14 seasons. His teams have won five conference titles, seven conference tournament crowns, recorded four 20-win seasons, three sectional titles and a regional title.

No comments: