Friday, May 21, 2010

Former Gryphon assistant football coach calls it quits at Winston-Salem Carver

By Mason Linker, Winston-Salem Journal

WINSTON-SALEM - Brent David's stay as Carver's football coach is over after two seasons.

Saying he thought that there might be a better person to coach the team, David turned in a letter of resignation late last week.

David, 39, coached Carver to a 19-8 record, including 8-5 last fall. The Yellowjackets' 2009 season ended with a 16-14 loss to Lincolnton in the second round of the NCHSAA 2-A playoffs.

"It's a great place over here, and as far as the talent, it's here," David said. "They have a very good team coming back. The nucleus is here. But everyone in the entire program needs to be heading in the same direction, not only the head coach but the assistants and everyone involved.

"Those are the key components to win a state championship, and I didn't think that was happening with me as head coach.

"I wish the kids the best of luck and (Athletics Director) Aaron Bailey, who does a good job, and I am sure they will find the right fit for Carver."

Bailey said that the position will be advertised and that there's a possibility of naming an interim head coach from the current staff.

"We want to make sure the program stays afloat and that there's a common voice the players can relate to," Bailey said. "Coach David has been going to workouts, he has consistently been in the weight room with the kids. I don't know what changed.

"I think Coach David did a good job. From what I saw, he is a very knowledgeable football coach and knows the game without a shadow of a doubt. He did a good job, and his results indicated that."

David, a native of High Point who played linebacker at Appalachian State, took over at Carver in 2008 after several seasons as an assistant at Rocky Mount. Carver finished 11-3 in his first season, losing 20-16 to West Rowan in the Class 3-A quarterfinals. West Rowan, winner of the last two 3-A titles, needed two long, trick-play touchdowns to win.

David said he planned to continue to teach physical education at Carver and take a year off from coaching. He said he would like to continue working with athletes in the weight room and that he would do anything he could for the players.

"I'll do anything that will help this team," he said. "That was the reason for me stepping down. I think the program was taking a hit. I felt like we were trying to do it the right way, we were going in the right direction, but I felt like it might be a little better without me.

"By no means am I done as a coach. I will continue to work on my craft, do some scouting and take in as many seminars and clinics as I can and try to get better. I am kind of proud of the decision I made.

"I have waited all my life for a head-coaching job, and this was a good opportunity. But sometimes you have to do a self-assessment and see if I am what this situation needs. Someone else might be able to do a better job over here."

No comments: